## Making Old-Fashioned Candles
Traditionally, old-fashioned candles were made from a variety of materials such as beeswax, tallow, and bayberry wax. While those types of candles are still used for religious ceremonies, most candles on the shelves today are made from paraffin wax, which is derived from petroleum. For centuries, though, the methods used to make old-fashioned candles remained unchanged.
### Gather Supplies
Making old-fashioned candles requires few tools and supplies. Gather the following before beginning:
* **Wax:** Depending on the type of candle being made, choose from beeswax, tallow, or bayberry wax.
* **Wick:** Cotton string or hemp twine can both be used. The thickness of the wick should correspond to the size of the candle.
* **Mold:** A wooden or metal mold shaped like a cylinder is best. If none is available, a wide-mouthed jar wrapped in aluminum foil will also work.
* **Candle-Making Equipment:**
* **Pot:** A double boiler works the best to avoid burning the wax.
* **Stirrer:** A wooden spoon is best because plastic can melt.
* **Tin:** Tin cans, each two-thirds filled with water, should be ready to snuff out the candle after each use.
### Melting Wax
In a double boiler, slowly melt the wax. The heat should not be too intense, or else the wax may ignite. After the wax melts, remove it from the heat and add fragrance or dye if desired.
### Pouring the Wax
Once the wax is melted, carefully pour it into the molds. Place the wick in the center of the mold, letting it hang out the top. Flexible wicks are easier to deal with. During the next step, a pencil can be used to keep the wick in place.
### Setting the Mold
Place the molds in a cool place to let the wax harden. This can take up to an hour. When the wax is solid, cut off the extra wick. If a jar was used, remove the aluminum foil.
Light the wick, stand back, and enjoy the elegant, old-fashion glow of homemade candles!
What type of wax is used to make old fashioned candles?
Traditionally, beeswax was used to make old fashioned candles. Today, paraffin wax is more commonly used.
What is Bayberry wax?
Bayberry wax is a type of wax that is made from the berries of the wax myrtle tree (Myrica cerifera). It is traditionally used to make candles, soaps, and lotions. Bayberry wax has a bright, rich green color and a pleasant, woody scent. It is also known for its natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
“What is Bayberry wax used for?”
Bayberry wax is most commonly used for candle making, and has a pleasant, spicy fragrance. It can also be used to make lotions and other body care products, and for wood polishing.
Welcome to my candle making blog! In this blog, I will be sharing my tips and tricks for making candles. I will also be sharing some of my favorite recipes.